The Mayor has today issued his draft transport strategy for consultation.
Posted on 12/10/2009 by
The Mayor has today issued his draft transport strategy for consultation. This is the final opportunity for business to help shape London’s transport strategy, under this Mayor, to support economic prosperity through to 2031.
A number of the issues raised during London First’s campaigning are reflected in this document. Key proposals include:
- Delivery of Crossrail and major Tube upgrades, including potential extensions to both
- Continued opposition to Heathrow expansion
- Steps to increase the reliability of road journeys with a range of measures including financially incentivising road works*
- Drastically increasing cycling ridership (400% increase in ridership 2000 – 2031) and active promotion of walking
- Greater focus on supporting freight operations including rationalising movements by introduction of consolidation centres*
- Improved passenger information and interchanges
- Creating better and more attractive streets
- Improving suburban rail services
- A package of new river crossings in east London (unfunded)
- Unique London First recommendation
The full text can be found at: http://mts.tfl.gov.uk/Read-the-strategy.aspx